Friday, December 4, 2015

Eggless Tutti Frutti Buttermilk Cake


Today I m with my first baked recipe, from an actual oven which i got months ago. I m no new to baking although i did take a break from it for quite some time because of all cross-country and cross-state shifts.
Now that I know i will be stationed in a place where I am now for some time, I planned to invest in a decent OTG which is new to me as I have always worked only in cooking range/gas ovens and convection ovens, so after a good number of trials and errors and after getting used to this oven, now I m confident enough to tweak and tack the recipes as I have always done. Now coming to this recipe it is one of those recipes thatz very close to my heart right from day one since I started baking as it always comes out well, I have taken the recipe from here and have tweaked to my taste. Also i have halved the recipe when I made the cake to post here. Do try it. It’s just a melt in mouth delight.

Ingredients:                                                                       Recipe Halved                                                                                                                                                  
All Purpose Flour
 1 cup + extra for dusting             
½ cup + extra for dusting             
Granulated Sugar
2/3 cup                                  
1/3 cup
Baking Powder
1/2 tsp                 
¼ tsp
Baking Soda
1/2 tsp               
¼ tsp
Salt
 a pinch

Buttermilk
1/2 cup
¼ cup
Butter
1/4 cup + extra for dusting             
2 tbsp + extra for dusting             
Orange Essence
1/2 tsp
¼ tsp
Tutti Frutti
1/3 cup
3 tbsp
Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp
1 tbsp+ 1 tsp





How It Happened: 


1. Preheat the oven to 200, coat the tutti frutti with a tsp of flour and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl add in the baking powder, baking soda salt and sugar and mix well.
3. To this mixture add orange essence, apple cider vinegar, buttermilk and butter and mix well for 3 minutes. Finally add in the tutti-frutti and give it a mix.
4. Now grease the cake tin with butter and then dust it with flour. Tap down to remove any extra flour.
5. Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin and keep it inside the oven.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 200 or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.

8. Then invert the tin to a plate and slightly tap to release the sides of the cake.
9. Let it cool on the wire rack for 10-15 minutes.
10. Cut and serve.
Notes:
* If you don’t have buttermilk, add ¼ cup of water to ¼ cup of curd and cream/beat it well.
* The actual recipe calls for an egg (1 egg). Instead i have used apple cider vinegar. You can use eggs if you choose to. Apple sauce or egg replacer can also be used.
* I have used orange essence for a change but the recipe calls for vanilla extract which you can use too.
* The baking time slightly varies depending on your oven. My cake was cooked in 20 minutes clean but i found the top of the cake to be white in colour which was not pleasing. So i changed the setting to broil and cooked      for 5 minutes which resulted in a beautiful golden brown topped cake.


No comments :

Post a Comment