Monday, December 1, 2014

Baby Potato Fry/ Urulai Kizhangu Varuval



Hiya!

Well where am I supposed to start after a loooooong break? Indeed it was way bit too longer than expected. I was on a break, to take care of some issues that needed the fullest of my attention.
Yes! it certainly built a cocoon( the lazy) around me that kept me off from making an extra effort to click things that I cook but now that things have settled I m slowly back on track or should I say I m bored to death!Anyway I immediately couldn't shake off the laziness that has held me from doing things hence I decided to start with a simple post from my every day cooking. So here I am with the all thumbs-up baby potato fry.

Ingredients:
Baby potatoes-250gms
Salt-as needed
Sambar Powder-1 & ½ tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Curry leaves-1 sprig
Oil-2 tsp

How it Happened:
1. Wash the potatoes well and dump them in a pressure cooker. Add just enough water to immerse them completely. Add salt, close the lid and cook them in medium flame for 2 whistles.
2. Once, the pressure is released, drain the water. Peel the skin off from the potatoes and prick them with skewers as it helps the spices and salt to get into the potatoes.
3. Then add the sambar powder and salt to the potatoes. Mix well to coat the potatoes with the spices. Take care not to mash the potatoes. Allow them to rest for 30 mins to 1 hour.
3. Then heat oil in a pan, add mustard and cumin seeds and curry leaves. When they pop, add the spice coated baby potatoes and roast them in low flame for 10-15 minutes. Keep sautéing them now and then until brown and crisp.
4. Serve hot with rice.

Notes:
*Boiling the potatoes is the most important process. Do not overcook else they become mushy.try to get almost equal sized potatoes as they cook even. Otherwise the small ones get overcooked while the bigger ones still remain raw.
* Using a flat bottomed wide pan, help in even roasting and browning of the potatoes.
 * Marinating and resting helps. the spices penetrate the potatoes and impart flavor.
* Adjust the spices according to your palette. If you don't have sambar powder add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder and 1 tsp red chili powder.

No comments :

Post a Comment